City School District of Albany Elementary Schools and Art Staff:
- Albany School of Humanities (ASH PK-6), Mrs. Mannato
- Thomas O'Brien Academy of Science & Technology (PK-6): Mrs. Wright (Website Link)
- Montessori Magnet School (PK-5), Mrs. Suwara (Website Link)
- New Scotland Elementary School (PK-5), Mrs. Martin, Mrs. Wright
- Pine Hills Elementary School (PK-6), Ms. Rhatigan, Mrs. Martin
- Delaware Community School (PK-5): Ms. Rhatigan
- Eagle Point Elementary School (PK-6): Mrs. Suwara (Website Link)
- Sheridan Preparatory Academy (PK-5), Mrs. Thomas
- Arbor Hill Elementary School (PK-6), Mr. Allard, Ms. Ryan
- Giffen Memorial Elementary School (PK-6), Mrs. Whalen
- Philip J. Schuyler Achievement Academy (PK-5), Mr. Allard
- North Albany Academy (PK-8), Ms. Ryan (Webpage Link)
Elementary Arts Program
The elementary art program begins in kindergarten, where students are provided formal art instruction with certified art teachers once per week. At the pre-kindergarten level, art is included in many of the regular classroom activities and projects.
Each art activity provides students the opportunity to be creative as they complete an original piece of artwork. Each art lesson is aligned with the New York State Learning Standards for Visual Art for Elementary. Lessons also make strong connections to the Common Core: English Language Arts and Mathematics, Social Studies, and Science learning standards.
Students are presented with new vocabulary words as they are exposed to classical artists and their works of art. Researching artists and their historic period of time and culture in which they lived is also interwoven in lessons. Technology is used whenever possible, whether it is using a digital white board for lessons, a projector, light box, or ELMO. Writing Artists Statements, performing oral presentations/critiques on art, and working collaboratively in groups is another way that the art program connects to 21st Century Teaching Methodology.
Students' artwork is publicized through art displays at each school, on a bulletin board, display panel, or wall, submitted for art contests, and displayed at a district or local art exhibit or event. The elementary program has displayed fine art works at the following locations/events: Academy Park, Central Registration, Outdoor Art Show, NYS Empire Plaza Youth Art Exhibition, NYS Martin Luther King Jr Memorial Observance, Black History Creative Expressions Art Contest, Upper Madison Street Fair, CSDA Elementary Art Show held at the Albany Institute of History & Art, CSDA 1st Friday Musical Performances and Art Show at the Cathedral of All Saints, "Building Communities Youth Art Contest", "NYS Anti-Cyber Bullying Poster Contest", AAA traffic safety art contest, CDPHP/PAL/Albany Police/CSDA sponsored "Don't Be A Bully grades 4 and 5 poster contest, to name a few.